Sunday, May 20, 2018

Scientist Wanted 5/20





This week in science, we began our scientist wanted poster. We had to choose a scientist from a long list, research the, and create a wanted poster for them. The scientist I chose was Ada Lovelace. I learned a lot about her that I hadn’t known before. Her full name was Augusta Ada King-Noel, Countess of Lovelace, and she was born in 1815. Her parents were Lord George Gordon Byron and Lady Anne Isabella Annabella Milbanke Byron. Ada’s father left her and her mother when she was young, so her strict mother taught her math and science. Ada had an unusual education for a girl in the 1800s. I also learned that her mother made her lay still for long periods of time to teach her self-control.

Through her friend, Charles Babbage, Ada was able to take courses at the University of London. She also helped Babbage with his work: he created a program to do calculations, and Ada helped him make it more advanced. Because of this, Ada was known as being the first computer programmer. Ada also wrote some articles about machinery and was a poet like her father. In 1835, she married William King, who became the first Earl of Lovelace in 1838. This made Ada the Countess of Lovelace. Ada had three children, Anne, Ralph and Byron, and died in 1852 at the age of 36. She was buried next to the father she never knew in Marylebone, UK.

I did not know that Ada Lovelace was also a writer and poet. I also didn’t know that she died so young. I was interested about Ada Lovelace because I knew so little about her. I only knew that she was a computer programmer, considered the first. That was all that I knew about her, and I was very interested by the information that I gathered. I also found out that Ada was an only child and she worked with a lot of people. Charles Dickens even read her a passage of one of his books while Ada was on her deathbed, and she died three months later. I was really interested in this scientist because she seemed interesting to me and I had heard of her before, but I didn’t really know much about her.



SP8: Communicating Information

For this week, we had to choose a scientist, gather info and facts about him/her, and then communicate it to the class and teacher in the form of a WANTED poster. We needed to have one sentence of what they did/do (why they’re wanted), birth date, death date/current age, spouse(s), children, where they can be /could be found, and a paragraph about what they did.

XCC: Cause and Effect
A cause and effect relationship that I noticed was Saturday at my soccer game. I kicked the ball up to a girl on my team, and since I did that, I caused her to score a goal. A way to predict the effect of your kick, you look at where people are located on the field: how close they are to the goal, how many people on the opposite team are near them, how quickly they can move and all possible ways for them to score. You can then choose who to pass the ball to and hopefully you’ll score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is There Life in Space? 5/23/19

Link  by NASA Solar System Exploration       We all know the typical sci-fi movie where an alien monster drops out of some unknown pl...