Saturday, May 26, 2018

Scientist Wanted-Final



WANTED
Augusta Ada King-Noel, Countess of Lovelace
An English mathematician and writer who wrote the first computer program.


This week, we finished our Scientist Wanted poster. My scientist was Ada Lovelace, and I think that she’s pretty cool. Ada was born to parents with an unhappy marriage, and her father left her and her mother when she was three months old. Ada’s mother taught her math and science at home, which I think was cool. That type of education was unusual for a little girl in the 1800s, especially one of royal blood. Ada’s friend, Charles Babbage, created the first calculation program, and Ada thought it would be cool if it could do other things, like play music, do more advanced calculations, and many more things. She was describing a computer-before they were invented! I liked that Ada helped to make the calculation program much more advanced, and because of that, she is considered the first computer programmer. I think that it’s interesting that a woman became the very first computer programmer. I was not surprised, however, to hear that she died young of cancer. If she had cancer at that time, she would have died either way. There was no treatment in the 1800s. I like all that Ada Lovelace has done and I think that it’s cool that she’s a scientist.

S&EP: Communicating Information

For the poster turn-in this week, we did a Flipgrid. Flipgrid is where you film yourself talking, and then you post it to the class, so the whole class can see your video. We needed to talk about how our scientist was important and use their proper name. Once we were done, we attached the link to the poster on the video. Once we were done with that, we had to listen to another person’s video who didn’t do our scientist and respond to theirs about something interesting that we learned. I liked this way of communicating the information because it was easier to film yourself rather than present live. I also liked that we could see everyone else’s and respond to their video. I thought that was fun.

XCC: Structure and Function

This week, I noticed a structure and function relationship when my dog was running after me on my way out of the gate. The way his body is built allows him to run fast and not crash into things as he chases after me. If he had a different body, like the body of an owl, he could not run quickly. Owls do not run fast, so if my dog had another body, he couldn’t chase me as quickly.
An animal like a fox also might have a body type that would allow it to run quickly. Animals like cats, pumas, leopards and cheetahs are all built to move quickly. 

Multiplier: Wanderer

This week, I think that I was a wanderer. Another person was doing Ada Lovelace as their scientist, and if I found a good website, I would tell her about it so that she could do better on her project. I would tell her pieces of information that she didn’t know, and I would help her with some tricky requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is There Life in Space? 5/23/19

Link  by NASA Solar System Exploration       We all know the typical sci-fi movie where an alien monster drops out of some unknown pl...